Tuesday 10 November 2009

Are you sure?!


Walking down the street, back from university....as usual the level crossing is down. I hear Leona Lewis blasting out of someones headphones - I turn around to give a disapproving look and think to myself:


'Gosh they are going to ruin their ear drums...'


I expect to see a 5ft something, blonde haired girl wearing clothes from New Look, with at least 1 pink accessory.......Instead a 6ft hefty boy with a long black coat on, long brown hair swept back into a pony tail and a bag with studs on the strap.


This made me wonder - do you think if he knew people could hear it he would still be listening to it ?! Or am I missing something and Leona's fan base has drastically changed....I sort of hoped that if I followed him (but I wouldn't...I think that's classed as stalking....haha) that S Club 7 would come on next.


Market research is very important in the decision making process about which strategies marketers need to take in their campaigns. It forms the basis decisions about how to target the consumer and if you get that wrong then the success of the product/service is jeopardised. But what if people lie?


Social desirability can affect peoples responses - if this gentleman was asked what his favourite music was my money is on the fact he wouldn't say Leona Lewis...as it doesn't fit in with his appearance and they way he wants to portray himself - he is more likely to say Metalicca.


Interviewer bias can also be an issue - if it was an interviewer from NME asking him what type of music he listened to then he wouldn't admit the Lewis Saga....he would emphasise on the bands he thought would be acceptable.


It is therefore important to understand the importance of different techniques of market research but also recognise the weaknesses associated with each and use a variety of techniques in order to counteract them.


***Just as a final point....I do NOT think there is anything wrong with Leona Lewis or wearing long black coats and having long hair..... :-) Or indeed doing both !!

No comments:

Post a Comment